Friday, April 8, 2011

Shelves!


I have been living in this Apartment now for two years. As I said before I am finally starting to make this space feel like a home. One simple thing I have done, that has made a big difference here is adding shelves. 
Here is the new shelf in the bedroom. Very Simple, Big Improvement.
The wall was so bare I never wanted to linger here. Though this is where I keep my jewelry, I usually make a few changes to my selection before I leave. This is where I should take my time instead of rushing out of here. 
Besides a drill, all that I needed was the L shaped support thingies, screws and the board.
Tada!! I really love having this shelf here. It creates a nice little space for me to get my Girly-ness on. Right now I just have my double sided mirror here at the moment. I am keeping an eye out for a mirror to place here. But this works for now. Before when I wanted to use a mirror I had to go to the hallway mirror. Here I can at least decide on my Bling without having to constantly go out to the hall. 

This shelf really makes my bedroom feel more complete and welcoming. I still get excited about it even a few weeks after it's been put up.
Here is the shelf in the living room. It is over the TV and gives a place for the clutter that I had on top of the TV. The shelf looks warped here, I don't know why, It is completely strait and level. This photo scared me when I finally saw it on the computer. But after checking the shelf out it is fine. Optical illusion I guess.
I have to clear something up. I keep saying 'I', but really my Guy took care of these shelves. I just had to mark the boreholes with a pencil while he held it in place.

The effect of the shelf on the wall behind the TV really helps fill the space. I live in an Altbau, an older apartment building that was originally built in 1910 or so. These apartments are very common in Berlin and high ceilings are a common feature. I love the high ceilings, but sometimes they can overwhelm the space. This simple shelf has really made a difference. Step by step my Berlin apartment is coming to life!

No comments:

Post a Comment