Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Eggs


Happy Easter, I was late this year with my Easter Egg decorating. I babysit a toddler a couple times a week and we had a egg decorating day. In this setting, I mostly just controlled the mess instead of decorated any eggs myself. It was still fun to watch him decorate eggs for the first time.
I boiled these eggs the other day with the intention of decorating them then, but they had to wait till today.

I used this egg dye kit, which is totally different from any egg dying kit I ever used. There is no colored water to dip them in. There is only a gooey colored liquid that you pour on your gloved hand and then swirl the egg around in the palm of your hand. This is the same style dye kit, that I used with the toddler, it is much more hands on and I think there is less chance of making a water mess.

That is at least how it was suppose to work, but since it took so long to get around to using it, the kit had solidified. Instead of a gooey liquid there was a pretty solid jelly in each little color packet.

I ended up using Q-tips, to apply the dye. It worked fine but you didn't get the oil slick effect that you were suppose to achieve with the gooey liquid.

Along with the dye from the kit I also used markers and some tape.
The Egg dying begins. . .


Here and below you can see the tap on the eggs. I cut it from a tape roll. It was very time consuming but still fun.




 












I had two eggs left and I decided to make little rabbits out of them. This was inspired by a post from the Craft Dept. from Martha Stewart. The original post is for decorating candy bars, but all I remembered were the bunny faces not the actual medium that was being used. ( It took me forever to find this post because I was searching for eggs the whole time and not chocolate, oops)
Easter 'Bunny' Eggs
 The brown one reminds me of a cartoon or something, I can't figure out what it reminds me of and it is driving me crazy. But anyway, this is how I made them.
I used the Q-tips and the dye to make the dots, it was messier and less precise since the dye was gelatinized. The ears I cut out of construction paper and I used crayons to make the inner ear detail.

I used a sharpie to draw the face details. I couldn't remember if in the original post the pink dot was used for the tongue or the nose, so I tried it both ways



The end results, I enjoyed making these, but next year I am going to choose one style and stick with it. These are so random I don't like the group effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment