Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Oatmeal Makeovers

Lately I have been trying to start my days right, with a good healthy and hearty breakfast. What comes to mind when I consider these criteria are muesli and oatmeal, both of which I do not have the best relationship with. I hate store bought muesli mixtures and oatmeal is so boring.

I mean look at it cooking, it is just goopy and blurpy, who wants to eat that?
I am very lucky that my Guy always says he wants some too when I announce I am making it for breakfast. Sharing it with him causes me to commit to making the oatmeal and to not change my mind for toast with butter and honey or something else that is not so great a choice as OATMEAL is.

Since I was making the oatmeal not only for myself, I decided to dress it up a bit this time, something I never do. Other then Milk and sugar, I never really added anything else, not even fruit.

So First I added the brawn sugar to melt on the hot oatmeal. oh Yummy!

It is always a good idea to eat some protein with carbs and sugars. It helps you to metabolize the sugars slower and reduce the chances of a sugar rush. I added some crushed pecans over the sugar. Check it out, the pecans come from the USA.

Then last but not least fresh sliced strawberries.

Doesn't this just look Delicious! Well it was quite good and so easy to make.
The next day there were no more strawberries so I though to give the mango a try. WOW!! It was so sweet. I didn't need the sugar. I still started with brown sugar and pecans, but I could have just skipped the sugar. I have a new favorite!!

Today I made my oatmeal with shaved apple pieces. It wasn't bad. Though I have to say apples are not high on my list to begin with, but with cinnimon and milk along with the sugar and pecans it was pretty good. It smelled like hot cinnimon rolls with a hint of apple. 
I have rediscovered oatmeal, and new ways to pimp it out are rolling through my imagination. I will have to keep you posted on new ways to enjoy it. The next thing in the works for a health hearty breakfast, is making some muesli that I actually like and will eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment