Monday, April 11, 2011

Kitchen Shelves!


Along with the new shelves in the bedroom and living room, we installed shelves in the kitchen. I really needed extra space for thing, specially since I had recently received new wine glasses and coffee cups and bowls from my Guy.
 
He also had the idea of hanging my pots and pans on the wall over the stove. It really makes a difference. Everything is in easy reach, plus I just like the way it looks.

These shelves have a different style then the shelves in the bedroom and living room. First off, there are three layers of shelves instead of just one. Instead of each shelf being individually attached to the wall, we attached two long runners that the shelves supports attach too. This makes it easier to get symmetry and allows the shelves to be adjusted. 
Second, the shelves have different depths. The top shelf is the deepest, just under 12 inches. It is the highest shelf and too high for anyone to run into. The middle and bottom shelf are both just under 10 inches. The shelves are centered over the kitchen table and buffered in a sense from getting knocked into. 


The supports for the shelves are made to be attached to the boards, however we did not pay much attention to them and did not buy the right kind of screws. They seem to require quite long ones. So as of now, I have to make sure not to place to much weight on one end. That said, I know one day I am going to forget to be careful and will knock a shelf off.
I hung this piece o' art my brother made last time he visited me. He had been inspired by the Berlin Jazz Fest. It fills the blank wall space between the shelves nicely.
Along with the shelves we also added a bar to hang up the pots and pans. This is actually a security handle for a shower. It works just great in the kitchen.


In keeping with the bathroom theme in the kitchen, this was placed up over the sink to hold the soap and some times a hand towel. It is just perfect to hold the hand soap and dish soap.

I think these improvements will do for now. They are still very satisfying and I don't feel the itch to improve. Maybe in a month or two when I get some free time, I will start on my next project.


No comments:

Post a Comment